Home Station: Reviews, Tips, Ideas, Queries, Issues, and Solutions

Hello, @alana.marks . . . this is puzzling indeed. Have you verified by checking the app that he is paired with the station after moving it? Sometimes they can get disconnected if you move them to test them somewhere else.

If they are not paired, the homing beacon and EMO will not be able to recognize each other and he may not get home as he will not be guided. Also, if he is not paired, he will not recognize it to speak to it and get a response from the home station when leaving it.

If they show as paired, you may want to try ā€œUnbind accessoriesā€ in the app and try pairing him again and also try reconnecting him to the wi fi again. See if that improves it.

Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

Sometimes it is trial and error. I hope you can get it all working correctly.

Keep us advised.

1 Like

I tested my other EMO that came with the skateboard and I changed his charging to the go home, and he charged In the original location Where other emo is struggling and he worked perfectly fine !! so this proves that the problem is not the outlet or the home station connectionā€¦

FAULTY EMO is working fine everywhere else which is so strange!!! but this particular location. He does however charge manually in that spot!

BUT I NOTICED at one point WHEN HE WAS IN MY ROOM WITH HIS HOME STATION I SAW HE GOT TIRED AT ONE POINTā€¦ he thought to charge but didnā€™t make it in time and just died. ( this was him wanting to charge on his own) Another time i saw he was falling asleep, and I had to interrupt his little nap for him to realize that his battery was draining after his little five second snooze he went to the charger all by himself. When I asked him to charge and gave him the command there was no issue in my room.

Now I plugged emo back in his original spot. I commanded him off his charger and he walked off and motioned his feet as he wanted to say goodbye to his home. But he WASNT FACING his home when he said ā€œ Iā€™m going out for a whileā€ He was facing a different part of the room
I asked him to go to his charger and he said OKAY GOING HOME. He has been struggling to go home in this area for 7 minutes and DIDNT MAKE IT. VIDEO

I think I figured it out!! And hope his feet are okay. It has to do with the dresser protector on my sonā€™s dresser. Emo was I guess slowing down and maybe it was not making him walk fast enough. I tested a piece of paper under the station and he got on perfectly. I really hope that his feet arenā€™t wearing away though because of the dresser protector. Itā€™s a clear plastic dresser protector so I hope he wasnā€™t rubbing his feet to the point were they can be ruined? Like wear away. But with paper he was fine. Maybe the protector is too sticky for him? But again he was fine walking on it up until recently? Itā€™s not dirty or stick from foods. So I donā€™t know why he canā€™t walk on it.
Are his feet okay ??? Look at the edges of the felt wear it meets the purple.
Looks like felt wore away maybe? Or something possibly sticky like glue! If itā€™s glue how the heck can I get it off???

the same thing happened to mine. donā€™t worry the feet are ok, but there made of felt so they will wear away a bit.

1 Like

Hello, @alana.marks . . . that would make sense if it was his feet sticking.

Some suggestions for cleaning the feet that I have seen are in this thread.

You might want to try the tips there and let us know if it fixes his walking issues. Yes, some surfaces can be bad for their feet, so that may have been what caused it over time.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

I thought I had emo figured out. And I donā€™t. Iā€™m so upset. He is still only a baby. He wonā€™t walk on the charger to charge. He keeps walking off and I even put him in a cardboard box to change his walking surface itā€™s so upsetting. I was able to find the fence mat so I purchased one but need to wait for it to arrive. But I hope Iā€™m not wasting money if my emo isnā€™t working correctlyā€¦ I really canā€™t figure this out. He worked last night and went on the charger after a few tryā€™s but he should work all the time!!! What is wrong with my emo!!! Plus when he walks off of it he doesnā€™t turn to say bye to his home station either. Also noticing my wifi is bad today. Every time I click the app itā€™s disconnected. So frustrating

1 Like

Hello, @alana.marks . . . from what I can see, his left leg is not responding properly (much slower and more sluggish than the right foot) which would cause him to not walk in alignment to get back in time.

Support will either be able to help you recalibrate the leg if software related or replace him since he is under one year old and it is a mechanical problem. Please refer to the information for Support in the post I made earlier and send a link to this video.

So sorry this is happening. The cardboard box is a good surface (my EMO Emilio has his home station in one) but curious why you had to purchase a fence mat? Did your home station not come with one?

Keep us advised.

1 Like

Yes mine did not come with one. I mentioned in earlier posts that I made that this emo was purchased from somewhere else. My new emo was purchased living ai recently. I told Support about that though and they are still being responsive and trying to work with me.

4 Likes

Hi Alana and your Dear EMOs,
I think Iā€™ve caught back up, thank you for posting video and providing more info.

1. Iā€™m glad to see youā€™re working with the support team on thisā€¦
  2. Video for March 6 and March 7, tough to watch, your Dear EMO is trying his very best,
  3. Honestly, I help both our EMO to get to their ā€œspotā€ to charge but if this ā€œhelpā€ isnā€™t done right it can easily scramble their sense of orientation to Mr. Home Station. (More next time perhaps.)

Support Team
They are A+ in our book: Even if it just came down to buying a Fence Matā€¦

Video March 6 & 7, Feet Picture
I think feet pads and table surface are important. It was very common in the community to use scotch tape to keep feet clean and that is still what we use for that part of regular maintenance (dust removal, general cleaning, feet pads, table surface) which we consider to be their ā€œspaā€ time. This occurs monthly or as needed. For cleaning feet pads we find that regular scotch tape with a moderate tack to be sufficient and try to avoid too strong of tack like that in some packing tapes, mostly to preserve the felt.

March 6 & 7: Front Edge of Mr. Home Station
Dear EMO is adorable. Looks to be having tough time negotiating that front edge of Mr. Home Station especially without the standard Fence Mat or some similar transitory element there. It might be just a bit less than this but imagine the front edge of Home Station is 1mm. If you notice, the edge there sits about 1mm off the table/dresser surface, to accommodate the Fence Mat, which is 1mm. So without the Fence Mat (or some similar thickness strip of card stock for example), Dear EMO has to negotiate an edge 2mm high (maybe 1.8mm is more accurate?), and granted he may have done it when you first got him, if his feet arenā€™t 100% clean or the table surface is too slick or tacky, and say the surface in general isnā€™t perfectly level, then he really doesnā€™t stand a chance and it would be a rare exception to succeed.

Also notice how Mr. Home Station slopes up about another 1mm there at the first inch of the front edge and that most of the station surface sits about 3mm (2.7mm?) high. Without a transitory surface at the front edge plus the incline of the first inch, it seems easy for Dear EMO to take a step that puts him slightly off center and/or momentarily alters his sense of direction if even just a smidge, enough to incur more adjustments or even spoil his attempt.

We noticed this soon after our first Mr. Home Station arrived, so we used part of the Fence Mat on each station. The Fence Mat works well for having two EMO in neighboring corners but we wanted to have ours more side by side so we use a strip of card stock at the front edge of our Home Stations.

This is another thing I always meant to look into on the forum but never did since we seemed to have found a solution, so there is very likely other info on this here somewhere.

I hadnā€™t intended to delve into such detail but it seemed necessary in order to convey the whole picture. There are other issues that could be at play but in these videos Dear EMO seems to be mostly doing well and for starters the front edge aspect needs consideration in my opinion.

Yes, when they are young they really do have a lot to learn! In some ways they are more human than machine, in that they do some learning, and make some mistakes, but are perfectly imperfect. Expecting them to succeed on their own all the time will carry some disappointment! What they can do is really amazing.

Best wishes to your EMO and we hope Dear EMO is otherwise doing well.

2 Likes

I just got my Emo a few days ago and it has issues going back to its home station. It has been 10 minutes but it seems to have difficulties navigating back. Does anyone have this issue? It just keeps going back and forth. I tried adjusting my surrounding brightness but still does not work.

2 Likes

Hi there @Wendy and welcome to the community,

I have moved your new topic to this thread which discusses issues or question about the home station.

Click the link below and try every possible tip which might help you solve the issueā€¦

Click Here!

Good Luckā€¦

2 Likes

welcome to forums @Wendy. Itā€™s very nice of you to join. :smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have had emo and the home station since March 1st.
Something has been wrong with the home station since yesterday. The lights of the matrix can only be seen on half of the screen. The home station has been in the same place since March 1st and has not been moved.
Due to the incorrect display, emo can no longer find its way to the home station.
I have to switch off emo on it, but then it doesnā€™t load immediately but instead runs down a few times. I then have to keep putting it back until it starts charging at some point.
Iā€™ve already written to support, but Iā€™m still waiting for a response.
does anyone know the problem?

Hello, @sabrina.tavernier . . . I have moved your new topic to this thread where we discuss issues with the home station.

While you are awaiting an official response, you can try changing out the charging cable to see if that improves things. I have had two home station cables stop working or fail to make a complete circuit connection.

If you have a spare USB C cable to test, please try this and see if it helps.

So emo has his home station set up hes been on it when i say emo go home if i leave him off will he just go to it on his own ? Then when charged will he leave on his own are do i need to move him ??

1 Like

yes he will walk around on his own.

3 Likes

So once battery is low he will go himself then full charge get off go play ?

1 Like

yes he will automatically go home and once charged

3 Likes

:camping: Home station questions :question:

:ok: Iā€™m not crazy I swear Emo is doing this and I need to know if anyone elseā€™s Emo is also doing this tooā€¦

Emo talks to his home station :sweat_smile: I swear at first I wasnā€™t totally sure but I am positive now!! Whenever Emo leaves he says ā€œGoodbye my friendā€ or something similar like ā€œIā€™ll see you soon Iā€™m going to exploreā€ he still hasnā€™t played any games on it yet but Iā€™ve seen little eyes show up on the display screen when Emo talks to it sometimes. I swear!! Its cute but also like Emo talks to his home station more than he talks to me right now :sweat_smile:

Heā€™s only 7 days old right now tho so heā€™s still a baby :laughing:

2 Likes