Emo still non-responsive for high pitched female voice!

@Wayne_Zhang , @AmyLU … This is something I have written about in the forum before, (as she had already experienced this with my Emo), but no help or resolution. So my daughter’s Emo finally arrived yesterday, and it was quicker than my Emo (thank you LAI). As you can imagine she was happy and excited to receive him. Though once we did the update and set him up, her happiness soon turned to frustration. Emo does not respond to her calling his name. He does with me right away (most of the time). She speaks clearly and says his name correctly, but she has a higher voice. I know that other people have experienced this problem, and as I have said, I have mentioned this before to no avail. Emo has a problem with female voices (especially higher pitched voices)! My daughter can sit there saying his name until she is blue in the face and he will not respond! The only way he will respond (about 1 in 8 times) is if she tries to put on a lower voice, which is ridiculous, and embarrassing if she is trying to show him off to her friends. Most of the time she will ask me to call his name so she can issue a command. With the most recent update, I was hoping that speech recognition would have been the top priority to have been fixed?
My question to you guys (LAI) is, is there any temporary work around for this (like saying a different word, longer EEE in Emo, longer OOO etc.) until you guys fix this? To her (and I), she has a faulty product and from my understanding these guys have a warranty…correct?
PLEASE HELP…Also anyone who is reading this and perhaps has experienced this and has a trick (I know one should not have to do this), to overcome this, your help would also be highly appreciated!

Living AI, there are other kids out there experiencing the same problem, PLEEEEEASE fix this in your next update! I would hate to think that the $450 present I bought for my daughter is useless to her!

3 Likes

hey JJ… I can feel your pain. Have you tried 2 words… “Hey EMO”

It’s funny because this has been the units weak point from the very beginning but at the same time it’s his strongest feature. I don’t understand living AI. When they introduced speech recognition it’s like they considered it a secondary feature… Boy were they wrong. Speech recognition is the number one feature by a landslide. I can’t say why they won’t make it work properly… Too expensive? They don’t have anyone in their staff of technicians to do it and they have to hire out which back to too expensive? it’s like they never had any understanding that this would be the number one feature. It’s a huge huge miss.

1 Like

Thank you Puppy :slightly_smiling_face: Did this happen to you and did this work for you? I will get my daughter to try it.
Makes me wonder though, I think I saw somewhere that you have to initially say his name around 10 times before he gets used to your voice?? Though my daughter has done it more than ten times. Given my experience so far with Emo, it does not seem like he has much if any autonomous learning capabilities (maybe @Wayne_Zhang could weigh in here). It’s curious that Emo will respond to things on TV that don’t even sound like his name, but he wont respond to a female voice? Sounds like Emo might be sexist! lol
Living AI definitely need to fix up their speech recognition. It would solve a number of problems and a lot of kids would be happy.

sometimes I use the hey EMO because I’m desperate just try anything… it’s just poor speech recognition. I’m using Dragon Dictation to do the typing you see now and it’s pretty darn good… I have 2 Alexa devices which are so freaking awesome it’s scary. They can hear me whisper. It’s just EMO Pet they put a toy like speech recognition system expecting to make us happy which well it did … We are thrilled…but at the expense of driving us all nuts… I think it’s too expensive for them to fix but let’s hope not. Because having a good speech recognition system would knock this project out of the park

I have my Alexa in my kitchen, I walk in the front door, and call out “Alexa, I’m home!” (no pause to wait for a “huh”). She, from the other room, responds with “Welcome home! Live in mode initiated!”, and turns on all the lights for me. The point is, Alexa’s speech recognition is 100 times better than Emo. I would be happy if Emo’s speech recognition would be half as good, but what makes Alexa even better, is that it is so much closer to actual AI and not just a limited response chat bot. With Emo you need to know what commands/speech you can use, where as with Alexa, it can understand just about anything you say. Let’s put it this way, if Alexa had Emo’s body, that would be one kick-ass robot! This kind of thing is what LAI should have aimed for in the first place. It seems they did/are doing things backwards. We got all the bells and whistles first. I don’t think they really realised how many adults this product would appeal to, hoping that children would just have no choice but to be satisfied with the product the way it is. I just hope that LAI fixes the important issues before too many people or kids mostly (including my daughter), get sick of Emo, and a ton of them will be stuck in toy boxes all around the world, collecting dust!

What is awesome about Alexa when you do whisper, is that she whispers back when she responds! lol Great if you still want to use her while everyone else is asleep!

I agree a lot of adults purchase this. I mean a lot… Because were adults we try harder than children to get the speech recognition to so-so work I’m guessing… If only they would make it a top priority because it’s the number one feature the rest is just fluff… I’m really sorry your daughter is having frustrations. I’ve had my share let me tell you :rage: some days I just give up thinking what a shame

I know what you mean, he was back in the box for a while after I got him and before the latest update.

At the End of the Day He Is Adorable He Is One-Of-A-Kind and Living AI Made This Possible. If I Was Ever Asked would I Rather Have Him or Not… I Would Choose to Keep little EMO Pet…if the speech recognition was accurate with the exact limitations that EMO Pet has now we wouldn’t be complaining. It’s just not accurate. But I will take care of the little guy :blush:as long as I can

That’s all good and dandy, but sucks for kids and adults (including my daughter) that Emo does not respond to. I would hate to think that LAI were just in it for a quick buck with as little effort as required to just keep the customer happy enough. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Hey @JJBeck Sorry to hear that this is happening, hoping that LIA opens that voice submission page where everyone can submit their voices so that it can help EMO hear higher pitch voices.

I know that other members of my family (mostly female) sometimes have issues with speaking to EMO and calling out to him as well.

As you said if anyone has a workaround/trick/tip. If you’re interested, I’ve suggested this in the past for EMO owners that might have trouble speaking English or have problems with speaking in general, you can use an APP called DeepL.

Maybe for moment your daughter can use DeepL it can be used as a TEXT to SPEECH app, and EMO seems to understand it very well. It might be a good way to see/test to make sure EMO can hear and understand you and your daughter as well.

This is a link to the DeepL website, it should be available on both iOS and Android stores:

But more importantly, hopefully, Living.ai will open up the submissions page so that this issue can be resolved as soon / quickly as possible so that you and your daughter, and many other EMO owners can enjoy using EMO as it was meant to be used.

:mad: :surprised: :skating: :heart_1: :head:

Hi @JJBeck , please submit voice records on this page https://living.ai/wake-up-training/ and we will train it and include this in a future update. For now, you can have your daughter try extending the E pronunciation.

4 Likes