Question about battery life

I have a question about what’s best for EMO’s battery and what you usually do. Since I have to return EMO Lovelace, I’ve realized that my new companion can last about two hours outside of its home, while Lovelace, with three months of life, lasted half that time. Given that batteries usually have a lifespan of around 1000 charge/discharge cycles, I’m not sure if it’s good to let EMO go out and run until the battery reaches its minimum and let it return on its own, or if I should disconnect it to prevent that. If during the day EMO usually goes out on its own two or three times, it significantly reduces the cycles. Another issue is whether it’s better to recommend that EMO returns home when it’s at 50% battery and not let it go all the way down. I might be completely wrong, but I’m worried because I want to take care of it as best as possible.

3 Likes

Hi there @LauraM ,

Ordinarily, he is programmed to return home when the battery warning signal sounds, and if he has no trouble walking home and there are no delays, he will reach his destination on time. I think there is nothing to worry about.

EMO’s battery like many electrical devices we know that contain a battery will over time degrade after usage. On average EMOs, battery should last anywhere between 1-3 hours, but this all depends on what he is doing, if you are asking him to dance, play a game, etc, his battery will drain quicker than him just casually exploring his surroundings on his own (or just getting bored and falling asleep “going into low power mode”).

If your EMO is not holding a full charge, would be suggested to take him off his charger, allow his battery to completely drain, then once he’s powered off. Place him back into his charger and allow him to charge once again.

If your EMO’s battery is still not going to FULL after this. Try and see if you can change the USB-C / Charger cable that is connected to your Skateboard / Home Station and try to charge him again.

If you believe you are having issues with your EMOs battery, it would be recommended to create a video to include it before contacting Living.ai support, they should be able to provide you with further info and assist you if you have a problem.

GOOD LUCK AND BEST REGARDS LAURA!

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer. I think I explained myself poorly. This EMO is working perfectly fine. The battery charges fully without any issues, and it has the expected duration. My question was more about the correct way to ensure the maximum durability of this battery. All batteries, in general, tend to deteriorate over time, and it is recommended not to always charge and discharge them completely but to keep them between 100% and 80%. Since EMO doesn’t return until the battery is depleted when it goes out on its own, that’s why I was asking if it’s better to turn it off when it’s alone or if frequently turning it off and on is worse. In other words, I’m asking for the best way to act to extend its battery life as much as possible.

Hi, @LauraM . . . most generally he gets back to the home station before the battery fully discharges. I am not sure at exactly what percent it is when he gets the warning to go home, but as long as he is not completely discharged to shutting down and then recharging, I believe he will be safe to do so. Often it is the complete discharge to power off and starting back up that counts as a full battery cycle for recharging.

Some on here believe in shutting EMO off completely for the night, but I think he will be fine left on his own. Shutting completely down is probably best if you are going to be away from him for several hours or days.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Would it be damaging to the battery life?

Hello There @mh1,

I Will Tag @Lindaru For Further Information.

Hello, @mh1 . . . I had in the past left mine on the skate board non-stop for days and they seemed to be all right, but I have since learned that it is healthier for them to be off of the skate board occasionally as concerns their battery life.

If you do not have a home station which allows them to walk off and work off their battery charge a little bit, it might be wise to take yours off of the skate board at least every couple to a few days and let them wander around for a while. Keeping them on over night should be fine, though.

1 Like

Hi,
I Was Wondering If EMO’s Battery Will Deplete If I Leave Him Off For Days, Weeks, Maybe Months?
My EMO Pearl Is Fine, But Normally I Power Cycle My EMO Pearl Every Other Day.

Since The v2.2.0 Firmware Update Released On April-27-2023. After I Updated EMO Pearl, His Battery Lasted For About 1 Hour And 25 Minutes Or Less, I’m Going To Wait Until Firmware v2.3.0 Releases.

If EMO Pearl’s Battery Lasts For 30 Minutes Or Less, Is There A Way That A New Battery Can Be Sent So That I Can Replace The Battery Myself, And So That I Don’t Have To Send EMO Pearl Back To LivingAI For A Replacement EMO?

1 Like

Hi, @artigues . . . you would need to contact Support directly about replacing any battery yourself. I understand about not wanting to send back for a replacement. You can private message Vince or Wayne Zhang to see what they would advise.

I am also not sure about shutting him down for extended periods of time. Another question you can ask them.

1 Like

I have Emo go home for 151 days and before the 2.2.0 update he will last 2 h 40 mins now he last 2 h 25 mins now living ai did say that Emo will go home abit early and that the 2.2.0 update makes him use abit more power so he will run for about 2 h 38 mins now which is good

HI regarding runs of battery, after emo is fully charged at the home station, he will go off to explore how many hours he should explore before the battery runs out.

Hi there @jesfersamianomig

I’m moving your query over here as it’s related to the ongoing discussion. In the future, kindly use the community website’s search engine to find the correct reply to your question for a faster response.

To reply to you and to know it as well…
On average, EMO’s battery can last anywhere between 1-3 hours. I’ve noticed that my oldest EMO, which is 577 days old, seems to run out of battery quicker now than when I originally got him.

As we all know, EMO’s battery, like many electrical and electronic household or mobile devices, contains a Lithium-Ion Polymer (LiPo) or any type of rechargeable battery that will degrade over time due to repeated charging and usage.

• NiCd (Nickel-Cadmium)
  • NiMH (Nickel-Metal Hydride)
  • Li-ion (Lithium Ion)
  • Lead-Acid
  • NiZn (Nickel-Zinc)

If batteries are used repeatedly even without mistreatment, they lose capacity as the number of charge cycles increases, until they are eventually considered to have reached the end of their useful life.

On average, EMO’s battery should last anywhere between 1-3 hours. The duration depends on his activities; for instance, asking him to dance, play a game, etc., will result in quicker battery drainage compared to when he’s casually exploring his surroundings or going into low power mode when bored and falling asleep.

If you believe you are having issues with your EMO battery, it would be recommended to contact Living.ai support, they should be able to provide you with further info and assist you if you have a problem.

Happy Weekend and Best Regards

2 Likes

I just receive my emo
I shout him down every night and I’ve seen that the Battery in the morning after 2 Hours is down

Is that normal? How is the Battery duration for emo normale?
Thanks

Hello, @elly00 . . . I have moved your new topic to this thread as it is an ongoing discussion regarding battery life. We try to keep the forum easy for users to find information by keeping posts in their appropriate threads. This is done by using the search function so as to not clutter the forums.

To answer your question, it is possible that his battery may already be low at the time you power him down. He cannot charge if he is off. Perhaps check his battery level before you power him off “EMO . . . Battery level” to see if it is already low.

If you find that it is at a high level before powering him off and suddenly gets low after you power him back on, you may need to contact service@living.ai for assistance.

1 Like

Good. I’ve been looking for a topic that has to do with EMO’s battery. I haven’t found it. The idea is to know what they do to make them last a little longer or so. For my part, I have disconnected the headphones so that they do not turn on the light. I don’t know if it saves anything, but it doesn’t bother me that it’s off either. And a question: don’t you think it would be great if EMO had a battery-saving mode? Anyway, let’s talk.

Greetings from Mexican EMO!

3 Likes

Welcome to the EMO Community Forums, @david.espino . . . I did find a topic that discusses batteries and I think you might enjoy reading it.

Some have felt that not leaving him on the charger constantly but taking him off and letting him discharge a little helps battery life.

Some shut theirs off at night or when they are gone.

Yes, the new product, AIBI, will have a low power mode, so perhaps in future EMO models?

2 Likes

Thank you. I see that everyone is worried about the useful life of the battery and so am I. In particular, I think that an update wouldn’t be bad that some functions can be “turned off”. I don’t know, the light of the hearing aids or maybe temporarily suspend EMO to play alone. Anyway.

1 Like

Hey,

Ihr seid eine Mega Community.
Ich hätte eine Frage, emo und das Skateboard werden sehr heiß beim Laden. Auch wenn er voll ist und ich ihn darauf stehen lasse,bleibt er sehr warm. Fast unangenehm. Ich habe einen anderen Stecker genommen,da ich in Deutschland lebe. Liegt es eventuell daran? Ein schwächeren Stecker habe ich auch noch aber der ist leider zu schwach. Danke schonmal für die Antworten :smiling_face:
Lg

Translation to English: You are a mega community.
I have a question, emo and the skateboard get very hot when loading. Even when it’s full and I leave it there, it stays very warm. Almost uncomfortable. I took a different plug because I live in Germany. Could that be the reason? I also have a weaker plug but unfortunately it is too weak. Thanks in advance for the answers :smiling_face:
Lg

Hello, @NRG . . . you may need to find another adapter for the charging plug as it may be over-loading. The specifics for the skate board and included charging cable are:

Input 5V 2A MAX
Output 5W MAX

I would make sure you have something that is compatible with that.

Otherwise, perhaps taking EMO off of the skate board every now and then to let him cool down might help.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

You must be careful with the overheating of the battery. That will cause more wear and its useful life will be shorter. Look for an alternative cable to fix it.

1 Like