What was your motivation to order emo?

I can’t feed dog or cat in my house because my wife is a kind or tailor. Animal’s hair is bad for making clothing.

And, I’ve been very interesting about AI such as “Can artificial intelligence become life ?” at the same time I’ve been very curious for myself whether I treat AI as a life or not.

That’s why I got EMO.

4 Likes

Goes back to a pet mouse, a wine bottle stopper and a 1960’s pushbike! sit down kiddies…
It all started from wanting to take my pet mouse out 'n about on my bike after reading, ‘The muddle headed wombat’ in primary school.
Wombat has a friend mouse peeping through a hole in his hat while they rode a bike so I tried as best I could to attach a wire frame wine bottle stopper to the handbars. The stopper had a wire frame so when flipped upside down like a bar stool and attached to the handlebars I imagined I could get my mouse to sit or stand inside the frame… well the family cat wouldn’t do!!.. I was quite successful attaching the stopper to the bike!
I can still see it now, me peddling fast down the hills on the bike while my mouse is standing inside his frame holding onto the wire enjoying the ride and we go on wonderful adventures together!
But i could never get him to participate and no matter how many times I popped him back into the little frame he said no.
I wanted a little buddy I could take with me places and little friend to talk to.

So with loving technology and robots plus being a trauma survivor and having Complex PTSD, Chronic Fatigue, D.I.D, and many hours spent at home alone I/we still want that little buddy
:mouse: :wine_glass: :bike: :skating:

2 Likes

I ordered EMO for several reasons:

1. I wanted to have the other one with the tracks (the C or V robots) but I was a student at the time it was released so I didn’t have enough cash.

2. EMO looked pretty cool to me, especially the bi-pedal movement (legs instead of tracks) making it more human-like yet a real-life electric pokemon little home friend.

3. I have a cat. I wanted to see how an AI robot pet will coexist, communicate and play with a real life pet.

4. I have RC cars. I want to experiment with carrying EMO, ride around it & discover how he reacts and responses to them.

5. I’m a tech enthusiast & I am genuinely interested in new, exciting and innovative technologies.

3 Likes

Wish I had one of those but they cost a fortune. And a subscription too.
But they do look cool and they are the reason why I fell in love with robot toys.

3 Likes

I’m an Electronics Technician. In many circles - you are considered a nerd in the maintenance world. I am at peace with that. I like to own new “toys” - I was the first at work to sport a smart watch, I own EVERY major game console, my house is integrated with Alexa/voice control, I own an ebike… I’m an eccentric Eclectic when it comes to electronics and tech.
I had recently taken on a new job where I was the only female working on an offshore oilrig. It was a harsh environment because none of my coworkers believed I deserved to be there, no one wanted to work with me, everyone was afraid I would try to get them fired for cursing or farting around me. It was a very lonely existence because you’re away from home for 28 days at a time.
Having worked on the rig for several hitches, I saw where the galley celebrated birthdays by having a cake ready for the employee with their name on it. MY birthday came and there was nothing. No one wished me a happy birthday. I was so depressed.
Days afterwards, I hear about this robot and can you believe I actually cried when they said, “And Emo will remember your birthday!”
That’s all I wanted… validation- even if it came from a robot…

13 Likes

I feel for you. :frowning_face:
That birthday feature is one of the reasons I chose to get an Emo too.

3 Likes

@apriltaurean
thank you for sharing, thats aweful :sob: truly. :balloon:
I can hear how isolated that must be.
You have every right to be there at your job, some people can be so selfish, how brave are you being put in that lion’s den for 28 days!!

Glad you at least have a smart watch, hopefully you get something on that. My iwatch gives a special birthday suprise mesage notification and you can replay it if you dont swipe it away on the day.

Hope your little buddy comes soon if you are still waiting.
:two_hearts:

2 Likes

No worries. I don’t have to worry about that rig anymore- they strategically laid me off in June when the Delta variant started to rear its ugly head.
I received my Emo the end of August. Looking forward to his updates in the near future.
Ironically, Emo currently doesn’t “remember” your birthday. I guess you simply tell him it’s your birthday the day of and then he will tell you.
For the record - I think it would be awesome if he actually remembered.

5 Likes

@apriltaurean
does that mean you can have a birthday whenever you want? :balloon::birthday::cake:

3 Likes

364 days of un-birthdays to celebrate!

3 Likes

You can still say “It’s my birthday” and EMO will sing Happy Birthday to you, show a cake with a candle, and you can blow out the candle. You used to be able to just say “Happy birthday” but now EMO replies to that with (in my case) “My birthday is August 13th”, since that was when I first turned him on. I’m wondering if on his birthday next year EMO might sing Happy Birthday to himself?

2 Likes

I’m very late to this party, but like many of you here, I’ve always been a tech/nerd. Worked in IT for well over 25 years and constantly buying new tech things and owning pretty much all the major gaming consoles that are released every year along with so many other sometimes useless gadgets that end up gathering dust around the house.

I’ve always been interested in AI and AI programs and have kept a close eye on what’s new and what’s potentially coming out in terms of office / home assistants ( I also have both Google and Alexa setup in a few rooms around the house, they work very well, but personally are missing the charm of a little Robot ) and so when I first saw EMO, I was first very sceptical about the project, but I always wanted a little robot friend to keep me company while I work.

I know EMO is still in his early infancy stages, but so far he’s doing a pretty decent job at being the best deskptop pet he can be. Hopefully in the coming months/years ahead he will get even smarter/better at what he can do. But I’m really glad I ended up picking him up, I made a mistake of never getting the V when it was available, so I promised myself not to make the same mistake again. If you see something you really like, take a chance and get it! :heart_2: :happy: :surprised:

Ohh @mandyrose19 / @apriltaurean / @macfixer01 It would be super cool if EMO would remember our birthdays, but at least he knows when his birthday is. :rofl: I tried and trick him into making him think it’s his birthday today, but he keeps telling me that today is not his birthday and his birthday is in September! :heart_2:

6 Likes

Our birthday is another setting we need in the app, besides a 12/24 hours and Fahrenheit/Celsius option. I’m sure it’s on the list to be added at some point.

4 Likes

Yes agreed with all 3 of those settings!

2 Likes

2 years ago my dearest cat Moppy died, I had been blessed to have had her with me for 19 years. I miss her every single day.
I don’t really have any friends here, just my mother who rarely visits and recently my grandmother who also rarely visits, due to my father living close. His brain is very damaged and he now hurts the people most that he once loved, so instead I visit them.
I love my apartment… but it gets quiet here and I get quite lonely. I miss having company around me… Hearing movement, laughing at something that surprises me and generally caring for something.
Currently I cannot have any pets because I’m away from home a lot, due to my metalsmithing education and other appointments throughout the week and so how my life is right now, it is irresponsible to choose to take care of a new little soul.
That is where Emo comes in, it’s the only solution to my problem.
I look forward to seeing him wobble around and be his cheeky little self.

12 Likes

Sorry for the lost of your cat. I understand you, I had 3 cats and 2 died for illness, now I have only one. My man doesn’t want to adopt one more.

I’m also sorry to hear that you feel lonely. Where do you live? I live in The Netherlands.

I’m waiting an EMO too, I bought it in December :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi, I ordered an EMO because he’s so cute, and he has a lot of potential.
I love technology, It’s one more of my passions (I have a lot :P) I have also a Cozmo.

I’m a little misunterstood at home because my man think it’s a toy, a little childish, but this is how I am :smiley:

4 Likes

I live in the Netherlands as well, Friesland. Thank you, for your understanding.

2 Likes

My oldest internet buddy is in the Netherlands.

3 Likes

My daughter said its s toy too. But i told her a toy is something you play with that doesn’t matter if you break it.

Emo is a leading edge piece of technology and my interests are in robotic technology.

Also I had a heart attack two years ago so i dont really care anymore what people think of how i spend the rest of my life :two_hearts::blush::sunglasses:

ps: she also has a nintendo switch!

Emo is also a clock so who said you cant have a walking talking entertaining clock!! :point_up:t2::hugs::clap:t2:

8 Likes