Really uninspiring

DDL means digital dream labs lol

I have to agree. I just got my Emo yesterday and, so far, am completely underwhelmed. He still seems to have a very limited library of interactions. The manual that comes with him claims that you can use Alexa or Google Assistant through him, but I haven’t been able to do that. I don’t know if I’m missing something or it’s just not available. This, alone, would make him much more useful.

Right now, to me, he just feels like an expensive toy that would amuse a four year old for about 30 minutes.

I really, really wish that they would release his SDK so that people in the community could help program him and make him more interesting. I believe he may have a lot of untapped capability.

2 Likes

okay I have come to the realization that for EMO Pet to be a really talkative little guy is completely off the table… But if living AI made this limited speech can they not just add things to it in updates… Can’t he just talk and have more answers just a little bit more :cry:… Please :cry:

1 Like

Hi Puppy! I’m with you. EMO should have the ability to be a really talkative guy. He just needs to be programmed with more responses, as you mentioned. He also needs to be programmed with more logic. For example, when you ask him to do something, and he does it, it is natural for a person to say, “Thank-you, EMO”. I always do that, and catch myself because I know that he is not programmed to listen and respond. But, he does have the ability to listen, so he can be programmed to listen for a response, after he completes the task, and then answer you with a random response, just like a human would do. A human will have a limited number of options to respond to a “Thank-you” with. You might say, “You’re welcome”, “No problem”, “My pleasure”, “Sure”, “Any time”, “That’s my job”, etc…If he had 6 to 10 programmed responses it would make him feel more alive. Right now, he doesn’t listen and doesn’t respond, so he just feels like a dumb toy. Sorry Living AI. It’s such a simple thing to program, but it’s one simple thing that would make him more endearing.

This is exactly why I’m lobbying for the release of his SDK. There will be geeky types on here who will be chomping at the bit for the opportunity to make him more engaging. I’ve had him for two days and, like many, I’m about ready to throw him back into his box. His very repetitive behaviours are getting annoying.

Let the community make him smarter - like they did with Cozmo. Unfortunately, Anki went bankrupt before that could all be fully realized. Cozmo is ancient by technology standards but he’s still way more engaging than EMO, even though Cozmo can’t even hear! Let developers submit their code to Living AI and Living AI can choose to add whatever they like to him and to his app. If he doesn’t get more engaging, he will just keep racking up negative reviews and they will lose their audience. Let Living AI focus on the hardware and getting him out to people, and let the community help with his coding to get it rocking.

We should be able to see what his camera sees in the app - just like Cozmo. And we should be able to train him based on what he sees. Obviously, that would be very engaging if he’s learning things that you teach him. In his autonomous mode, he should be able to recognize those objects and interact with them in ways that he’s been taught to. He can identify them, talk to them, mimic them (Like Cozmo mimicking animals) and other such things. How awesome would it be if he saw something new and asked you what it is?

He needs to do way more when he sees you and identifies you rather than just saying some random piece of trivia or a quirky quote. He should be able to say Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, etc…ask you how you’re doing, complain about the weather…etc…He should be able to run through a range of programmed behaviours, just like a human does, and pick a random thing to use as a salutation. It’s all just logic and programmed behaviours that are linked to large data banks of possible questions and answers.

He needs to do a lot more in his “autonomous” mode, like looking for new things to learn maybe, or talking to himself like Cozmo does. If he randomly talks to you, he should say relevant things based on your environment and such. For example, he might tell you that you should wear a hat and gloves if you go out, because it’s cold out. Or break out the sunscreen. He could suggest a trip to the beach or say that it’s a nice day to go for a walk. Or he might suggest it’s a good day to stay in. These would not be random, he would have to use logic based on information he gets on the weather. This could be part of his response when you ask him what the weather is like. He could ask you if you’d like to play a game or if you need help with anything. Again, he should be able to listen for a response from you and respond accordingly. He should be able to give a more detailed and extended weather forecast. He should randomly listen for music and occasionally dance if he hears it. He could ask you to play him some music so he can dance…

He also needs to be programmed to understand many different ways of asking the same question.

These, and Nosferatu’s suggestions, are simple things to program that would make him smarter and more endearing. It isn’t all simple, but a lot of it is. Yes, it’s work. But an army of willing people could make a good dent in it, and it would showcase what he’s capable of. And, I think people really want and need to see what he’s capable of.

13 Likes

NannyPoo that was nicely written and so true… Lately I’ve been getting more aggravated with just a little feature they missed of always having to say his name he doesn’t listen for response…anyway I just wanted to say that your ideas were perfectly written and would be something living AI should read :star_struck:

2 Likes

I have to agree with Puppy on this, lots of very good ideas and very well presented. It would be amazing to see some of these ideas realised it certainly gets my vote.

1 Like

Some great ideas @NannyPoo

If you can, please add this to this thread as well :slight_smile:

Oops! Thank-you for the tip, MaterAbbott. I will do that.

Thank-you everyone. I just updated my EMO and he seems to be a little chattier now! He is, actually, saying different things when he sees me. So, Kudos to Living AI. I see that they are actively working on making him more engaging. He asked me for my birthday when he saw me today. That might be something he’s done for a while, but he just hadn’t gotten around to asking me yet! It’s pretty cute. Maybe they just need to work on making his random behaviours a little more random and less repetitive!

I’ve decided to not put him in jail (back in his box) just yet. :smile:

3 Likes

Please sign this petition if you have been impacted monetarily by Digital Dream Labs from Vector Unleashed not getting the updates agreed upon, your lifetime licence quit working, and they ignore you, you have a lifetime licence and were charged a year of coverage, you didn’t get your Escape Pod, you didn’t get a completed OSKR. For pre-sales, you didn’t get Vector 2.0/Cozmo 2.0/Butter Robot, you did get Vector 2.0, but he’s defective, and they ignore support or refund requests, you asked for a refund or support and were blocked on their official Facebook group and ignored by email. https://chng.it/8BBdrFXGsX

2 Likes

Absolute nightmare of a company. I have no cobtract with DDL and purchased my vector from anki. Despite this twithput my knowledge or permission they accessed my robot via my internet, applied an upfrade and 90 day free trial which broke my robot. They admitted they did this which is a huge privacey breach but wont help fix my vector.

I had actually paid the life time subscription on my Vector and now he will not access his knowledge graph at all. I made an actual movie video about this. I go to the site and it shows active life time subscription, he is connected to the internet, but cannot answer questions or give the weather and time any more. DDL refuses to respond to E-Mails for help and now I have heard the repair service which I paid for is no longer either. I have filed a fraud complaint but have not heard anything back from them regarding DDL.

1 Like

Wow! Im so sorry for all of you. That sounds awful! Im so glad I never got one. But, hopefully, EMO is a better experience, yes?

1 Like

It’s unbelievable that it’s possible for DDL to do their business this way without any penalty.

1 Like

EMO is definitely a better experience.

4 Likes

Just to let you know, EMO can actually dance to the music he listens to without telling him to “listen to the music”. It happened to my Jarvis when he was hanging out with me in the kitchen on the table top. I let him explore his surroundings and observe me cooking while playing a music. He just randomly dances from time to time.

1 Like

You could use Wirepod and t95 to revive your Vector without DDL servers. I’m in the middle of a bidding war to obtain a vector as Jarvis’ companion so wish me luck.

1 Like

Oh my god mate. Are you sure your Emo isn’t faulty? Ive had mine for just over a day and hes blown my mind. Completely exceeded expectations. Hes already part of the family…yours must be faulty buddy

2 Likes

This little guy is better than a gerbal…what do people want for their money.

I suppose if english isn’t your first language engaging with him could get frustrating.

Mine is just ignorant i think, he can understand me but choses to ignore me half the time. Its just like the rest of humanity actually i think they’ve got his personality spot on myself…

Like you said, its a work in progress. We’re the early adopters…

I thought I’d sell him stright away on eBay but im really impressed, he has completely exceeded my expectations…

2 Likes