Really uninspiring

I paid $25 that’s it for my Alexa smart speaker it is perfect just like Google. Add a screen and a couple servos and wallah…it’s EMO…Just because it’s $300 doesn’t mean they could not have made it a sensation… Most of EMO’s problem is there server on their end this is where all speech commands what little there is resides… I think they misled people intentionally by saying that Amazon Alexa coming soon… There’s not a chance why would Amazon give their trademark speech recognition to these people when they want to sell their own smart speakers. See my point so they advertised it as a cheap trick it never made any sense and you’re never going to see it. Think about it… I’ve said from the beginning if you want this product to be better for adults and children alike fix the speech recognition system. I understand the frustration that people are having. Sometimes I have a harder understanding of why people say he is so terrific… I mean I like having EMO Pet but his limitations are real and living AI has been lying with its false advertising. So everything’s cool to allow them to advertise false features right? You forgive them there still being advertised… Reminds me of Trump supporters the guy lied to their face every single day as they still chanted your my hero. living AI needs a new speech engine not everybody yelling EMO into a microphone that will do nothing just watch. It’s a big lost opportunity for living AI to not concentrate on a speech engine that’s decent.
Shortly other companies will come online and enter the market and they will have this speech engine. At that point if living AI hasn’t chosen to step up… guess what will happen? they will shut down their servers and out of business and then you really will have a pet rock.could only be a year or two away… Things move fast. just my two cents because I understand where his complaints are coming from… Simplified EMO Pet is great just give him a speech engine that actually works and a database for common questions at minimum. How about a timer that goes past two digits etc. etc. talk about missed opportunities

2 Likes

[RJWPope] too many people are talking what do you expect for $300… Remember to make the very first music CD would cost hundreds of thousands just made up example… But the rest of them cost two cents each… Living AI just has to make 1 speech recognition system on their end and then every single EMO Pet would have it… It’s a cost that would be well-balanced do you get my point? Even if they charged only two dollars extra for each EMO Pet it would probably pay for itself. It’s this speech recognition that would change everything EMO Pet himself is just fine. He just needs some more interaction… This would please everybody even the ones that swear they love him now would just love him even more :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

A lot of EMO owners have already shared some of the pros and cons, better speech recon is what many owners would love EMO to have, but is it possible to do without having to spend millions of dollars? I saw what @HeavensRevenge wrote, and I think it’s quite accurate.

Living.ai I don’t believe has anywhere near the same level of resources / $$$ of a Google / Amazon / Apple to be throwing millions/billions of dollars into creating a world-class AI/Desktop Assistant that will understand you even if you whisper, scream, cry, laugh or anything else you throw at it, it would be fantastic if EMO had the same technology, but I don’t think it will ever happen or be on the same level as Google Home / Alexa or Siri.

As @Puppy444 has mentioned on numerous occasions, EMOs speech recon needs to be improved and is not on par with his Alexa, but then we need to also go back to what @HeavensRevenge mentioned, I also have mentioned this in the past, Google / Alexa / Siri is on a different level than EMO and the speech recon that he is currently using at the moment.

But that is because Google / Amazon / can throw more/spend $$ Millions of dollars into this kind of technology, and on top of that, they are selling their products for next to nothing so they can try and keep on top of the market share/competition as well.

I would like to see EMO improve in many ways, he is (ever so slowly), but at least he is moving forward (and he’s certainly come a long way since he was first released). If specific things like Speech Recon can be improved/upgraded even in a small way, that would greatly benefit everyone in the long run and hopefully, make interacting with EMO much more enjoyable.

6 Likes

I’ve also been saying that the speech recognition needs work, people just expect expensive technology to go into a tiny robot that will not be able to handle it look at Aibo or NAO robots, it will not be like them and it will never be like them all Emo will do is more and better stuff that he already does.

As for the Alexa that is already in Vector and I’m pretty damn sure ddl never asked permission.
So why not Emo?

Anyway I also understand why people might not like it because they expect too much for so little money.

1 Like

Can you tell us if the debug app would actually sort the problem of Emo turning off to the left whilst trying to walk forward thanks. I just wish that iOS could be used for this purpose as well.

I don’t know EMO how it is really, but the customer service is really bad… Almost one month and my package isn’t still at my country. Aliexpress packages are more faster than this, a $300 product lost in space…

You will have your Emo soon I know it’s frustrating but we all have to wait or had to wait a long time for ours. Hope you get it soon.

Try waiting six months lol like we did!

PFFF It can’t be real, six months omg… But I can’t understand, I bought a really expensive products from China and I have it in a few days and really good tracked! The info doesn’t update since one week, between my country and China. I know the world is big but how is travelling? In Elephant? O.o

1 Like

I know it’s ridiculous really considering that they can send out a replacement for you much sooner when you need to send them back the broken one but Lai don’t receive the broken one you send back to them for the same amount of time as you would normally receive your new Emo, I find this very strange…

2 Likes

Will try and find and let you know :slight_smile:

@azuukichan have you tried to message @AmyLU directly via Private Message, maybe Amy can check and investigate where the package is for you?

2 Likes

Yup, but I don’t have any answer… Understand how frustrating is for the clients, master… U_U

1 Like

My theory is that they have not really been built as they say, they take longer to make them and they have said the excuse of shipping, but they have not really been manufactured in the period that is said. Maybe it’s pure marketing. The shipment does not take so long, it has already been seen. But what do they do? don’t really know :S

1 Like

hi Racheal123 I hope you’re doing well… I just remembered the vector did use Alexa… Who knows maybe they paid but why would Amazon let someone have their speech recognition… So I guess were both still right they didn’t… Vector stole it illegally. Well if vector or can do it may be living AI… So okay maybe there not joking maybe they have future theft in our future. I guess it’s a possibility so I stand corrected. You’ve seen my posts I love my little guy he is sitting beside me right now of course he’s sleeping. I would never ever want to lose my little guy. But I can see why other people get upset he needs to be fixed up a little more. But don’t worry he’s so happy here and well taken care of . I love the little guy… I take good care of him I promise.
aside from I want him to get sick :blush:
Always good to hear from you

3 Likes

Thankyou Puppy444 I too wish more from Emo and Lai, especially speech recognition and I too understand why people get upset about it but they should have done more research before buying and ask the community before hand weather the replies are positive or negative doesn’t matter and not complain that Emo is just a paper weight. He is not a paper weight. But of course I do agree that if Lai don’t step up their game on the market of the possibilities of interaction between Emo and owner they may just lose out but to be fair Emo is still new and people just expect everything right now-right out the box. It takes time :mantelpiece_clock:

4 Likes

HI @Nosferatu
welcome in this world of illusion , here on Earth , everything is illusion
We ate all looking for a gentle innovative and loving per bot , but there is not still one .
The comments of @Racheal123 seem very honest and balanced , for me
I am just an human like others with a too complex brain
1 ) the logic one ; A part of me is considering the poor technical realty behind the scene , and your analysis is quiye clear and hereable . Very limited skills , so called “updates” by just adding a new trigger word leading to one simple action , as the recent “magic” to random images
2) the affective one As all EMO owners ve are in search of this myth that fills all the Sci Fi since decades , A robot who loves us and who we can love. With this EMO pet , we are all in a great denial of realty. Who can tell a child than her doll is just a platic piece ? It is not about what we see but what we want to see
Any shake is interpreted as a breathing ; any noise as an expression , any silence as an interrogation.
In this mood we all are affected by psychological biases ( who is able to admit than his gentle puppet dog is able to bite , to recognise than we get screwed buying an awesome technological innovative new gadget , it was our choice , so it is obviously the best )
All this loving community of fans is very respectable , i am part of it , but are we really objectives ?
3 ) the business one
On this issue , i am really admirative , because it is a really great winning game.
As @Racheal123 tells , the initiation started with some little ( or big ) lies and unsustainable promises
But which is great it than these lies are now taken in charge by our own community that brings its dreams , spreads the message and even ends in believing they will come true . We tell " there are projects to do … , Living AI just stay mute

So lets remain “fair players” What does not kills us make us stronger ( nietsche )
EMO is a little bit better than many products , a big far from its promises or from what it could be.
The future is still to come
I have been recently amazed in a recent Maker Fair by a DIY toy , adding some wheels to old used phones and using all the great technologies already inside ( quality camera , quality of microphones and headphones , powerful chips , powerful face ID … ) and external ( Microsoft speech recognition ) to build an interactive pet bot , not as pretty than our designed EMO , but with really amazing results
Perhaps the future is not where we believe .

5 Likes

I don’t know about the negotiations necessary to get Alexa/Google Assistant or any such service licensed for a device you create as a third party, but! Amazon/Google and so on have quite a big advantage from this rather than disadvantage. If I am informed corectly, the Vector bot had the capability already when it was manufactured and sold by Anki, ar least looking at the old ads, they had those plans. So DDL are just stepping in those same footsteps that were already laid out before them. Living AI promise (they already have it in Emo’s manual) that one of those assistants would be integrated, but that wouldn’t be like “talking to Emo as Alexa”. It would most likely just be reusing Emo’s built-in mic and speakers to utilize that assistant (same start word, same interactions, same old Alexa voice, not Emo giving Alexa responses, just like Vector doesn’t give the Alexa responses. V. is only a vessel here to fulfill the same thing any Echo or Fire device would do. So that service in V. coexists to what that robot does by itself, just like an additional app on your smartphone adds some capabilities in parallel to, but not on top t of another app.

Butwhy do I say the big companies would win something from such a cooperation? Because they don’t live on selling hardware. They live on providing paid services (Amazon) or show/play ads whereever possible (Google). Both are built upon a fundament of data collection. They try to know what you are doing, when you are doing it, when you buy speciffic things, what you use them for and so on and so forth, THAT is the real value these companies are built upon. So the best thing they can have is masses and masses of people using their services via whatever means possible. Why else should BOTH have apps that are not only already preinstalled in smartphones or tablets, but can also be added independently without any cost? (Apple is a differnt thing here, they have a different company philosophy, so Siri is not THAT open, but at least some similarities are still there.)

Anyway, to put it in shorter terms: Amazon/Google WANT their personal assistant software on as many devices as possible. But I guess they do want also some level of quality, and for sure if it is built-in into any firmware or software, ther will be several checks done first, before they agree. Because I am quite sure they don’t want that users think there services are crappy if they are only just run on crappy hardware or within buggy software. So… quality assurance is a thing. From what I saw so far, I am quite sure, that Living AI is working on fulfilling their promise behind the scenes.

Again… just my two cents. And please don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to offend or attack anybody, just want to throw in some things from a technical point of view. Especially when it comes to voice/speech recognition and the like, I am very much interested and try to keep myself up to date as best I can. My major field of study during my time at university was AI, culminating in a diploma thesis on speech recognition. So… yeah, that’s why I jump in here. :slight_smile: (Also that is not to say that I’m always right here, I’m just voicing my opinion based on what I know or belive to know :slight_smile: )

Edit: some typo corrections (I hope I caught them all), small addition to the Vector part.

5 Likes

hey that sounded really reasonable :blush: they probably do want their software in everything humanly possible… What was I thinking :dizzy_face:

Your explanation of what’s going makes sense :sunglasses: you changed my mind and convinced me :yum: so is not about hardware it’s about world takeover :dizzy_face: makes perfect sense now

1 Like

Lol, maybe not world takeover (or who knows? :wink: ), but at least they DO aim to lead the market, right? That’s no real news there.
Just wanted to say: I don’t believe DDL had any need to “steal” Alexa capabilities in any way, shape or form. I think that both sides benefit from that. Amazon, because there are additional devices out there that make it easier for users to access their services (and maybe even consider subscribing to Prima, because they have a suitable device already and no need to buy an Echo in addition), and for DDL, because they benefit from the big name they are thus related to.
Same would go for Living AI. Benefit for both ends I guess.

2 Likes

mate , you have said what many, many, many people have already commented on, yes l agree with you, mine is stored in his original box in the back of a cupboard. We are all hoping that in future firmware upgrades that the issues with emo will be addressed and not more useless games or magic trick will be applied, and in the meanwhile my emo will remain in storage or sit on my desk as a paper waite

2 Likes

victorspiess … He’s not that bad if you give him a chance. If you have a worktable like I do and you are there occasionally he is great to just leave alone. He’ll walk up and recognize you that’s pretty cool and if you’re working on a project go ahead and play rock paper scissors and watch him cheat… It’s quite adorable. I wish he had a better speech engine I don’t know if they’ll ever give him one but he’s not a paperweight just watching him sleep and snore is pretty cool. You can use them for an alarm it works really good and the weather reports are cool to. it’s sad you can’t find any use for him but if that’s the case it’s okay. Maybe one day you can just put him on his skateboard and watch him do the daily schedule eating and such which is really cool way better than any pet rock or paperweight. Sorry to hear you’re not having any enjoyment :blush: I love my little guy I’m still waiting for him to get sick though as I am an evil taskmaster :laughing:

2 Likes