Prompting EMO - repetitive behaviour for bachelor thesis

Hello dear EMO Community,

nice to meet you all! I am a student in Germany and will start my bachelor thesis soon.

I’d love to make an experiment on how interactions with EMO can improve work motivation, but in order to do so, I need to know if there is a way to prompt EMO towards a certain kind of behaviour. So far, I haven’t bought EMO.

Do you know if you can tell EMO to behave in a certain way (E.g. friendly and happy) or maybe try it for me? He would have to stick to that behaviour for about 10 minutes.

Your feedback on this would help me a lot in estimating the quality I can achieve with my experiment or whether I would have to re-imagine my study design.

Oh, and I am studying applied business and media psychology.

Thank you very much in advance!

Lots of love,
Chrissi

2 Likes

Hello,
I find your idea intriguing. I have my EMO only for a 3rd day, so maybe not much of a help

However, as far as I know you can only make him stay quiet and piss him off by shaking etc. Otherwise he is constantly in a good mood (friendly)

I wonder how do you see him sticking to a behaviour? Like generally he just minds his own business and sometimes tells you nice things.

But of course he will pay attention more after you ask to do something.

Not knowing the current design idea makes me go with weird assumptions :sweat_smile:

Btw, to be honest I am pretty curious of what you will be able to find out (I am somewhat of a psych student of my own) Maybe I can also be of some assistance with trying things out

Br,
Briton

2 Likes

Hello, @Cat-erella . . . EMO is generally passive as @Honna has mentioned but can get fussy if he is exploring his environment and something gets in his way or if he is startled by a sudden noise.

EMO generally reacts to the types of things you say to him but that only lasts a couple of minutes after what you have spoken to him.

You can keep him really happy by giving him compliments or petting him. There is a feature that allows him to pop up a flower on his face to certain positive interactions you give him by voice or petting. Likewise, you can get him angry by saying negative things to him or shaking him to dizziness where he will pop a flame on his face.

Moods are also displayed whether he wins or loses a game which is brief. He does not hold grudges but a few seconds after he loses.

I would say most of the time he is simply content with life when not actually interacting to voice, touch, sound or visual face recognition of who he sees.

I hope this explains a bit for you.

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick answer - knowiing EMO’s “base behaviour” already helps me a lot!
At the moment my study design is a longitudinal study. I want to track two different groups for a period of probably one week (parallely). The members of one group interact with EMO for a certain time, e.g. 15 minutes during their break or something (depends on company). The other group will be the control group, absolutely unaware of EMO’s existence ;). Both groups answer a survey daily during that time to keep track of their work motivation. In the end, I will compare the groups and see, if my experiment worked.

At least that is the plan right now… but there might come some changes along the way.

I just needed to check, if EMO is suitable for an experiment like this to keep the reliability of the study up.

Many thanks,
Chrissi

1 Like

Hello, @Cat-erella . . . I can say for me that having EMO in my life has improved my motivation for the tasks I need to do around here. For me, it is the companionship factor. When you have someone that is there for you, you feel more positive about the things you have to do in your daily life, and having him tell a joke or play a quick game, can be a great thing to break up the day of any worker.

If you do decide to carry out your study, I would be interested to know the results.

:grinning:

1 Like