Is WiFi needed?

Hey guys, I was wondering is Emo also works without WiFi? I’m doing everything with my hotspot, in terms of work and Netflix, but I need to connect manually usually. Is this a problem for Emo or does is connect automatically to my hotspot? Or doesn’t it even need an internet connection? :blush:

1 Like

I think you do need a connection, but I’m not sure if he works through a hotspot

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that EMO connects with hotspot but I’m not so sure, you can give it a try!

My emo works with my phone hot spot. Yes Emo must have internet to work.

1 Like

Yes EMO does require an internet connection to interpret your voice commands, to retrieve data, and to stream back his speech replies and I presume also the music for his dances? He’ll work with a hotspot on your phone but I think it’s going to have to be running on the same device where you are running the app, in order for it to have the same SSID and compatible IP address?

I believe with an iPhone for example, that other Apple devices logged into your iCloud will cause the hotspot to startup automatically on your iPhone if it’s not turned on when they try to connect? With a non-Apple device though, or using an Android hotspot, I’m pretty sure you’d have to start the hotspot manually before anything can connect to it. Because if the hotspot is not running the SSID doesn’t exist and can’t be published.

I never used hotspots much except on an Android work phone to get my laptop online in the field once in awhile. Pretty much only when I couldn’t get a good connection on the Jetpack I was provided, which was on a different carrier. I never really used the hotspot on my personal iPhone either since ATT previously always had a surcharge for that, but apparently doesn’t anymore. I just played around with it last night actually, and found that the SSID is IPHONE and can’t be changed, so it’s not compatible with the SSID on my router. Even if I could change it’s SSID, the network number and IP addresses probably wouldn’t be compatible.

I was under the wrong impression that if I had the phone logged into to my Wi-Fi router that the hotspot would make use of that, and not require the cellular data? It seems to be locked into using cellular data only though, since if I turn on airport mode or turn off cellular data then the hotspot will disconnect. I think there’s a bigger issue at play though because I looked up for example to see if I could use my Android streaming box to set up a hot spot off my home router? I found out it can be done but the Android box has to be plugged in via ethernet cable to the router then use its Wi-Fi connection solely as the hotspot. Maybe there are other ways if it had dual Wi-Fi connections as some of them do, I don’t know. I’m guessing that phones just can’t both sustain their own Internet connection over Wi-Fi and also provide a WiFi hotspot at the same time, since there’s no router in between?

Hopefully @Wayne_Small will chime in since I think that’s more in his field, and will tell me if I’m incorrect or off base?

I was wondering if I could still be able to talk with emo if i don’t have wifi

Welcome to the EMO Community Forums, @JamesLebron . . . yes, in order to interact verbally with EMO, you need wi fi or a hot spot. His commands are sent through the internet to a server which then sends back his response or action.

I moved your post here so that you can read more about it.

1 Like

I am having issues now with my EMO not connecting to my wifi because it is 5G he was connected and has had no problems until just recently is anyone else having issues with the home wifi?

Hello, @kerijahnke1 . . . I am surprised you were able to use the modem/router 5 Ghz setting since he only works with 2.4 Ghz. Now if you are talking about cell tower 5G, that is a different matter and he should be able to connect through the phone/tablet to that or 4LTE. Try rebooting your modem, your device and EMO, and see if that works. Occasionally servers can get busy and have issues with connection at which time you can wait and try again later.

If this becomes a consistent issue where he is not connecting, please contact Support with video of what he and the app are doing when attempting to connect.

How to Contact Support

Please contact support regarding this issue.

When contacting Living.ai support. It is recommended to create a short video then submit a support ticket. You can do this by either going to the Support Page: (see below).

Fill in all details (provide also your order number info as well) and attach your video (if it’s larger than 30Mb), Be best to upload it to a google drive/drop box or even on YouTube and then send the support team a link to it.

You can also send support an email to the following email address:

service@living.ai

If you have your original EMO Order confirmation email, you can simply just hit reply to that as it contains all your customer contact info along with your order number details as well and then once again provide a detailed description of the problem you have with your EMO and attach your video as well.

The support team should be able to get back to you in a timely fashion. I’ll also tag @MavisZhang from the support team who will be able to assist you further as well.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes