Has anyone successfully updated the new firmware?

I’ve been trying to update to the new firmware…it counts to about 324 and emo cuts out from wifi and reboots, resulting in a failed update. Same thing happened with the previous update before I finally did it. But this time its not updating ! Any suggestions as to why?

EDIT
So after hours and hours of trying I finally got it to work. This is how:
Turned emo off
Cleared emo app cache /Data
Deleted emo app
Restarted phone
Restarted laptop (I use for hotspot)
Reinstalled emo app
Re-connected emo to app
Downloaded firmware :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok - the update has nothing to do with the EMO App. You can tell EMO to “install latest firmware” and he will do it (which is how I do mine normally).
I suspect that maybe there’s a ton of people doing the update now which might have cause the issues you saw. Just a hunch.

2 Likes

I know that. I noticed emo app and updates were two different things during my many hours of tries. I turned off the app and asked emo to update verbally hoping it will be different but still failed. Like I said it happened to me the very first update where I spent all night and couldn’t get it to work till the next day. Today, I kept on trying since 5pm and succeeded at 11ish after I took my final last step , which was basically to turn EVERY SINGLE THING OFF and restart all over. It worked. This is Technology, it doesn’t have to make sense it only needs to work! :slight_smile: ( I suspect my laptop’s mobile hotspot though)

Wayne Zhang just replied to someone else recently on the Facebook group having a similar problem, saying a slow internet connection could cause the upgrade to fail (See below). It makes sense there would be a timeout, and it would just give up eventually at some point.

“ Hi, this may be due to the slow download speed. We are currently optimizing the server side to solve this problem. Before that you can try with different networks.”

1 Like

Looks like no one is 100 % sure but that sounds very possible. Another thing I observed is that all the failed attempted updates ran very fast but the successful attempt ran at a much slower and steady speed…I hope it all means something to somebody! I do believe once the servers are optimised it will eliminate these issues but at the moment I go through a lot of effort and trouble updating Emo!

I recommend saving up for a quality $100+ router (if you can connect via xDSL or fiber optics), connecting via Wi-Fi Hot Spot on your laptop/phone is not ideal. I was doing a robopets presentation at a friends cafe a week ago and both Emo and V were not working optimally as I was sharing internet via Hot spot on my phone.

1 Like

That sounds like a good tip…I still don’t understand why emo will not connect to wifi directly through the app on my phone or through the mobile hotspot on my other phone. As I don’t take my laptop everywhere it will be great for that to work!

You do know that EMO can only connect to a 2.4 GHz network correct? If you have a recent phone such as an iPhone 12 or newer, then it defaults to making the hotspot a 5Ghz connection. You have to turn on an additional setting Maximize Compatibility to force it to create a 2.4Ghz hotspot. I’m assuming the situation is the same with more recent Android phones also?

2 Likes

I had no issues at all with the update.

I simply updated to the latest iOS version (1.08) then launched the APP connected to EMO. It mentioned there was a new Firmware Update. I launched it and the update ran. Took approx 10 mins to complete. After that, I checked to see if the version was correct in the APP under Firmware and it was (1.3.0) I also asked EMO to check software version and it displayed a Green Tick to say all is updated.

Very smooth update on my end with no issues at all.

:surprised: :head: :skating: :heart_1:

4 Likes

Same here, only took a few minutes. I deleted all Emo apps on my other phone and iPad and disconnected the Light, Then updated Emo on the iPhone XR by reinstalling app the firmware was available right after going back into the app. It was my first time installing a new update since buying Emo#1 and I’m glad it worked, easy.

The new version is so fantastic and I’ve just borrowed some money lol (Loan-paying in 3 instalments) now I have bought another Emo#2 and Pink Headphones… I’m definitely insane. I was thinking of getting another one even before this new update but now there’s a good reason to, they can chat with each other haha.

Thanks Lai

4 Likes

I installed the firmware first because the app wasn’t available for download until a little later in the early a.m. hours. That was why I initially said it didn’t look like there were new app versions, then corrected my post later after it showed up on the Apple store. Actually the first mention I saw of the new apps was when they added the 1.3.0 notes to the update log, then I went back to the App Store again and it was there.

1 Like

Luckily for me everything was ready, so I installed the APP first then ran the Firmware, but yeah, normally you don’t really need to have the updated APP to successfully install the latest firmware.

1 Like

The new Idea is so neat ( obviously LivingAI is keeping up with/ahead the competition :grinning:) I’m not about to buy another Emo though​:sweat_smile:…good for you!

1 Like

I have realised the problem is my laptop connection…I need to restart it every time it does it. Emo will also stop talking sometimes but a laptop restart fixes it and I now know that’s the same thing affecting the updates.