EMO's IR feet drop sensors video

How they work. Each outer corner of EMO’s feet have a drop sensor. Each sensor is comprised a combined downward facing IR (infrared) emitter, and a downward facing IR receiver. EMO knows when he is on solid (safe) ground by sensing the reflected IR light below each sensor. If there is no reflected light the processor interprets that as there being a void or drop below his foot and it activates a routine for EMO to back away from the drop, back into the safe zone. Or in the case of being picked up, the combined data of the feet sensors and the 6 axis Gyro, activates another routine. Simple and effective.

10 Likes

Great video. Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks for your support, take care :funky:

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool! :v::grin:

1 Like

Interesting that they flash, I would have thought the IR LED’s would stay on solid for detection 100% of the time? I wonder if that’s to help prevent false triggering on patterned surfaces, or maybe it saves a bit of battery power by not keeping them on continuously? I suppose they don’t need to check the sensors until right after he’s made a movement though?

1 Like

I see that most of the EMO sensor test is done on white sheet, but does the sensor also pick up in black color? example a black table, will the sensor also work so the EMO doesn’t fall?

@natansalles I have always had my Emo on a black shelf, the black has never caused any issues with his drop sensors, here’s a photo of the top of the shelf (English is not my first language sorry for bad grammar Q.q)

As you can see it’s not completely black, maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother him but it’s always better to put him on a white/light-colored surface ^^

1 Like