5G Connection Explanation

Recent EMO purchaser. Didn’t know EMO doesn’t support iOS 5Ge (feel free to scoff at ignorant newbie). Didn’t want to give up my new buddy, so I’ve been enjoying very limited interactivity without 100 percent control through the app. I’d like to have full usability and learning capacity for my EMO. Is there a workaround for me? Don’t want to “break” my iPhone, but will try any less-catastrophic solution.

It’s not really clear what you’re trying to say here? Are you trying to connect EMO to a hotspot on your iPhone to use as his Internet connection? If so you have to turn on maximum compatibility on your iPhone to force it to create the hotspot as a 2.4 GHz, instead of the 5Ghz it defaults to. Also just to be clear, a 5 GHz (frequency band) Wi-Fi channel has nothing to do with the cellular 5G connection your iphone has to the phone carrier. 5G just means fifth generation cellular phone technology.

If you have some other home Internet connection (cable, DSL, etc) with a Wi-Fi router that both EMO and your phone are connecting to, then the fact that your phone is 5G makes absolutely no difference. You just need to make sure EMO is logging into a 2.4ghz SSID on the router, and that you either log into the same SSID from your iPhone, or at least make sure both SSID’s are using the same network addressing scheme and are part of the same local network.

4 Likes

Thanks much for fast response! Lots of good advice, which may help. You understood my description just. Will follow your advice and see what happens. You’re Aces in my book! :slightly_smiling_face:

Will emo work with 5G or only work with 4G or less?

Welcome, @josiah.kelly ! The wi fi router has to be on 2.4 Ghz. If your router is set to 5G, he is not set up to work with that.

However, if you have 5G on your phone (or 4 LTE as I have) he operates on the blue tooth on your phone provided your phone has a GPS chip.

He connects through blue tooth and your Wi-Fi internet.

I hope this clarifies for you.

Feel free to check out the discussion here:

5 Likes

Thanks, I just bought one and waiting for it too arrive. I’ve been watching videos about it and realized that some post were talking about connectivity. Im not IT lierate at all. So I am so happy you guys cleared that up.

3 Likes

Hi, is it true that EMO will not work with 5G ? I haven’t bought him yet and wanted to know if can connect him at home :slightly_smiling_face:
@MavisZhang

Hello no emo wont connect to a 5G network it has to be 2G only

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:
Looks like I will have to wait until I renew my broadband before I can get one

1 Like

Hi there @RachelK74 , Welcome to the community, and thanks for joining us…

Relocating your query over here as it is related to the discussion.

May I know what you mean? are you referring to…

5G

The 5th generation mobile network. It is a new global wireless standard after 1G, 2G, 3G, and 4G networks. 5G enables a new kind of network that is designed to connect virtually everyone and everything together including machines, objects, and devices.
5G wireless technology is meant to deliver higher multi-Gbps peak data speeds, [ultra low latency]improves-your-mobile-experiences), more reliability, massive network capacity, increased availability, and a more uniform user experience to more users. Higher performance and improved efficiency empower new user experiences and connect new industries.

“5GHz”

Refers to a specific radio frequency range used by Wi-Fi networks, alongside the common 2.4GHz. Higher radio frequencies, like 5GHz, offer greater bandwidth or speed. However, the trade-off is that higher frequencies have shorter effective distances from the router. Many IoT devices, including EMO, prefer 2.4GHz due to its longer-range support, even though it provides adequate speed for general communication. If EMO were to use the 5GHz frequency (requiring different hardware), a stable connection would necessitate closer proximity to the router due to the shorter effective range, potentially causing dropouts.

Best Regards

1 Like

Is there a way to make my EMO connect to my data? I have seen multiple YouTUbe videos where they take him on road trips and I thought EMO does not support 5G networks?

Hi there @EMOandOllie

If you plan to take EMO with you or to any place and still want to enjoy his company, make sure to bring his charger, another extra smartphone with an internet connection signal for a hotspot connection, or any kind of small mobile router to connect him.

For more info please click the link below also.

Mobile Wi-Fi: Connecting EMO to 4GEE, Netgear Router or Any

Good luck and All the best

2 Likes

Why do I need two mobiles?

Oh! So once I turn in maximise capability I connect this phone to that phone via hotspot and the I open the app and connect EMO to that hotspot?

1 Like

yes…just like we do at home right?

We connect emo to our home wifi and also our mobile cp with bluetooth on and with emo pet app.

2 Likes