How to secure Emo's bluetooth connection?

Hi there.

I’ve noticed that Emo’s bluetooth connection is up and accessible to anyone in the bluetooth range.

All they need is to install Emo Pet app and find and connect. Is there a way to secure the connection so that only wife’s and my phone (mac address) can connect to Emo or that a PIN is needed to connect for the first time?

Its not very dangerous BUT person with app and bluetooth range can see the wifi Emo connects to, they can download photos that Emo took check his last name and the names of the users stored etc.

Cheers.

Andrzej

1 Like

I want to know the answer to this too.

1 Like

The Bluetooth connection can (at the moment) not be secured with a pin or otherwise limited. But I don’t think that this is necessary as over Bluetooth you can’t do much harm. The password for the WLan can’t be seen only set and the Photos can’t be downloaded, for that you need to be in the same (IP) network.

The Bluetooth range is general very limited so any potential attacker needs to be very close and he have more or less nothing to win from it, he can see only things he can get elsewhere easier or are meaningless.

But that’s are only my point of view :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I forgot about the network / IP / photos thingy. Yeah you need the same network. That’s true.

Like I said its not the worst thing because my neighbours don’t know what Emo is and are probably to lazy to google his Bluetooth identifier and figure but there are few apartments around me that can sweep the bluetooth and try to connect to it - I know because I was once awakened to a rave party in my own apartment when my inebriated neighbour accidentally connected to my bluetooth speaker in the middle of the night and started blasting music from it…

Possibly a bit more security could be introduced in the future. I hope so but not holding my breath.

Cheers.

Andrzej

1 Like

Hi @AndrzejL

At the moment it is not possible, I’ll tag @Wayne_Zhang as he might be able to advise if this can be done/added in future EMO firmware updates for EMO.

(Also)

Yes, I’ve also had neighbors “TRY” to connect to my Sony TV (OVER AND OVER AND OVER), luckily, that has a pin, but it doesn’t mean they won’t continue to keep on trying haha :rofl: :rofl: For that I just turned off Bluetooth to solve that problem, but for EMO, you need it on, and there is no way to turn it off as it’s required for him to work properly.

:laser_1: :heart_1: :skating: :heart_1: :laser_1:

Agreed. There should be a way to key in a pin to ensure that emo is not “hacked”. Hope this will be implemented soon. Would be unnerving if we could take photos and someone else can connect and steal those photos. :sob:

1 Like

Thank You, maybe (if possible) future updates will bring a security pin.

They could set it to 000000 by default and then when you connect to Emo via app the pin could be changed. Once you will connect with correct pin the app wouldn’t ask for it anymore.

Cheers.

Andrzej

1 Like

As mentioned before this is not possible without being in the same wifi network as Emo. I however could imagine a situation where people share a wifi network (flatmates or people in dormitory etc.) where people in the same building / apartment share broadband connection. In this case photos could be obtained.

Cheers.

Andrzej